Asian players drive shift in content demand

Asian sports books are adding more content in response to demand from local gamers, with betting on smaller, local sports now growing at a faster pace than punting on the European big leagues, experts say. “Football is the predominant factor in Asia. I would say 95 percent, if not more is football alone and that is both for cash and credit,” says Jesper Jensen, director iGaming Asia, who says a conservative estimate for the amount of credit extended per week in Asia is US$10 billion to $50 billion. However, the Asian punter is looking for more betting opportunities than just on the major soccer leagues. Thomas Klingebiel, commercial director, Asia Betgenius explains: “Most operators see 10 percent of betting from the top divisions in Italy, France, Spain, Germany, England. The other 90 percent of turnover is from other, less prominent football leagues. So while the top leagues and countries...

Intelligence Articles is a premium content section developed for AGB members only featuring in-depth articles on relevant items of interest across the multiple Asia Pacific Gaming jurisdictions. To continue reading, subscribe now.