SJM Holdings CEO Ambrose So said it sees no reason to suspend the group’s contract with junket operator Suncity, despite recent allegations that the junket had engaged in illegal online gaming operations.
According to a report from TDM-News, the head of SJM said it viewed the recent controversy as not having an effect on the company’s relationship with the junket operator, which has one VIP room at one of its casinos.
“They operate one of our VIP lounges in a satellite casino. It is a service contract. Under the service contract, [it] is stipulated that, along with other standards, they must obey the laws of Macau. If you break that, we can end the deal.”
Mr. So said the moves from the DICJ to remind operators to keep a close eye on their junket operators was timely.
“It was a very timely move by the DICJ to draw the attention of all operators, saying that if they want to operate in Macao with their junket licenses, they have to abide by the laws of Macau. The DICJ made it very clear that they cannot break the law and make Macao a base to promote or make online services available to other casinos elsewhere,” he said.
DICJ carries out “lightning” inspections of VIP rooms
Last week, Macau’s gaming regulator reportedly carried out a number of surprise inspections of junket-controlled rooms in Macau to crack down on any illegal activity.
According to a statement from the DICJ on Friday, the inspections, called “lightning” inspections, were carried out in junket controlled VIP rooms inside casinos.
The regulator said the inspections were to ensure the healthy development of the gaming sector while serving as a deterrent to any illegal activity.
The inspections were prompted after reports emerged from Chinese state-run media, which accused Suncity of running illegal online gaming and proxy betting operations targeting Mainland Chinese.
Suncity has, however, denied the allegations in several instances. DICJ head Paulo Martins Chan also confirmed last week that Suncity CEO Alvin Chao is not under investigation.