A joint operation between police authorities from Macau, Guangdong and Hong Kong has led to the prosecution of 1,782 people in Macau, Macau Business reports.
The police operation, named ‘Thunderbolt 17’, took place between March 5 and June 10 this year, uncovering a total of 1,293 crimes committed in the period.
The operation this year saw an increase of 65 percent in prosecutions this year, compared to the same operation last year.
Commissioner General, João Augusto da Rosa said the increase was a result of an increased amount of mobilized police officers and more searches conducted.
Inspections were conducted in 816 venues including casinos, saunas, massage parlours, bars, karaoke venues and other entertainment and gaming establishments.
It is understood that 218 loan sharking gaming crime cases were uncovered during the operation, as well as an illegal football betting ring, leading to the arrest of eight Macau residents and 51 Chinese nationals.
“Gaming related crimes have increased, and new strategies to fight this type of crime have been enforced by the PJ and the PSP,” said Rosa.