Pagcor looking into CEZA-licensed online operators

Pagcor chief Andrea Domingo has confirmed they will be looking into the activities of Philippines’ special freeport zones that issue licenses to foreign online gaming firms, Reuters reports.

Earlier this week, Pagcor announced the scrapping of Philweb’s 13-year monopoly and while its chief was publicly denounced as a corrupt oligarch. Duterte refused to renew the license of the operator after its permit expired on Wednesday.

“With the strong and repeated pronouncement of the president, there is no choice,” said Domingo.

“I doubt if anyone expected what happened,” said a former top official at Pagcor, who asked not to be identified.

“It is not quite clear what the president really wants and what the endgame is.”

Duterte’s position on online gaming that services bettors from overseas is yet to be clarified, said Joe Pisano, chief executive of Jade Entertainment and Gaming Technologies.

However, Pagcor said as Philippines looks to boost tourism, its land based casino resorts are unlikely to be targeted.