Gaming regulator Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corp. (Pagcor) has indicated that it intends to lift the suspension on Resorts World Manila’s gaming license soon, Philstar reports.
On Wednesday, Pagcor chair Andrea Domingo told lawmakers that Resorts World president Kingson Sian had verbally conveyed to her the integrated resort’s desire to have its casino license reinstated so it could start gaming operations.
Travellers International Hotel Group chairman David Chua Ming Huat made a similar request to Philippine lawmakers during the House Inquiry held earlier this week.
“We told them to formalize their request and we will issue a checklist of all the requirement for a secure and safe environment, which they will have to comply with first,” said Domingo.
She said following this, the Pagcor board would discuss lifting the suspension on the casino license.
Domingo said the welfare of Resorts World’s 6,000 employees needed to be considered, as well as the investments the company has made and the revenues the government is earning.
“They have over 6,000 people. They’re paying their salaries now, but the company cannot sustain that indefinitely. These employees may lose their jobs,” she said.
“Plus the fact that we may not be able to meet our commitment to the Governance Commission for Government-owned and controlled corporations of P57 billion in earnings this year, because Resorts World Manila contributes about P4 billion a year,” she added.