Operators mobilize staff for typhoon clean up

Macau’s operators announced Monday they were mobilizing staff to help with the cleanup efforts after Typhoon Mangkhut, which swept through the territory at the weekend forcing the closure of casinos for the first time since concessions were granted in 2002.

The storm is expected to reduce September’s gross gaming revenue. Bernstein analysts said they now expect GGR for the month range from flat to down by 3 percent.

Melco Resorts & Entertainment said a team of nearly 100 staff members were deployed to ensure public safety and help beach clean-up efforts. Employees from Melco’s property and construction services department were sent to assist the fixing of damaged and dangerous hoarding around the city.

Another group of Melco employees joined the Macao Government Tourism Office in a clean-up initiative at Hac Sa, Macau’s largest natural beach, to remove rubbish and debris washed up onto the shoreline as a result of the typhoon.

Sands China also said it had deployed staff to help around Macau. Sands Cares ambassadors were sent to the homes of elderly ahead of the typhoon to assist them with preparing for the storm, while they will visit again on Monday to help with household repairs.

Sands Cares Ambassadors are also teaming up with Caritas Macau to help deliver meal boxes prepared by Sands China for residents of the Elderly Centre at Illa Verde.

“Our thoughts are with those whose properties have been damaged in yesterday’s typhoon, including those of our employees,” Melco CEO Lawrence Ho said. “At Melco, we pledge to assist the government in helping bring about a swift restoration of order to the city. We will do our best to offer help to those in need in community as we further coordinate additional relief efforts in the coming days.”

Although the typhoon was more powerful than Typhoon Hato, which hit in August last year, the city appears to have been better prepared.