No guarantee MGM Cotai will be open by CNY: Fernandes

The head of the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO), Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes said there is no guarantee that MGM Cotai will open by Chinese New Year, Macau News reports.

The HK$27 billion ($3.4 billion) property had originally been scheduled to launch on Monday, January 22, but was delayed as it was still in the process of obtaining relevant licenses.

The MGTO told MNA last week that MGM’s application for a hotel operating license and other ventures in the property had not yet been approved by the Office.

“We are still waiting for the evaluations of other technical departments involved in the process. If everything is up to the standards, we can advance with the inspection and eventually issue the licence,” said Fernandes to MNA.

Fernandes said her department “will try” to issue the licence on time for the Chinese New Year, which begins February 16, but said it could not be guaranteed, noting that “there are other documents which other departments expect to receive and that the gaming operator itself still has to provide.”