Government mulls bad-debt-player blacklist

A shared blacklist of players proposed by Macau junket sector is still being considered, said Fong Man Chong, Co-ordinator of the Personal Data Protection Office (GPDP), Macau Business Daily reports.

The database, which will contain a list of players who are considered at a high risk of defaulting would be a useful tool for the junket sector, but Fong said guidelines need to be in place.

“How such a database should be established, what should be mandated as principles and guidelines, who would have access to the data; all of these need to be studied in depth,” he said.

Previously, Macau’s Secretary of Security, Wong Sio Chak, said that the scheme was worth a shot, but will need to be authorized by the GPDP.

However, the GPDP said there has been little progress. “These are not simple works and they involve a lot of different issues. We need to comprehend the operation of the industries and their characteristics. We need to refer to relevant laws and regulations so that we can come up with better and more efficient regulations for the industries to obey,” said Fong.

During a press conference for casino mid-term review on Wednesday, DICJ director Paulo Martins Chan, confirmed the regulator was looking into the possibility of setting up a database of people that owe overdue debts related to credit issued for gambling. “we consider this is viable,” said Chan.

The mid-term review also called for tighter regulation in the junket sector.

“Despite the positive role of junket promoters in the development process of the gaming industry, there are still bound to be problematic areas which need stronger regulatory effort in order to enable a healthy and orderly development of the industry.”