Macau’s Secretary for Economy and Finance Leong Vai Tac has decided to allocate 100 tables to Galaxy Macau phase 2’s mass gaming operations, with 50 being deployed immediately and the remainder in January.
In a government press release, Leong said the government welcomed the company’s partnership with local small- and medium-sized enterprises and that additional tables should be used for mass-market play rather than VIP.
“This could help encourage the development of further non-gaming elements in Macao’s tourism sector, such as food and beverage retailing, and the hotel industry,” the press release cites Leong as saying.
“This was especially helpful in the period of adjustment in the local gaming industry, when the gap between the revenue generated from the mass market and that from VIP rooms has been narrowing.”
The extra table allocation follows this week’s announcement that Melco Crown’s Studio City, opening on October 27, would be allocated 250 gaming tables.
The secretary reiterated that the government would strictly follow the principle of allowing a compound annual growth rate in new-to-market tables of no more than 3 percent for a 10-year period from 1 January 2013.
Major considerations for table allocation on new projects include each project’s non-gaming elements; each project’s contribution to help transform Macau to a world center of tourism and leisure; the scale of the non-gaming elements; and whether such elements could drive development of local small- and medium-sized enterprises, said Leong.
The secretary added that so far in October, monthly gaming revenue performance judged year-on-year has been better than in the prior few months.
Gaming revenue recorded so far this month showed a 20 percent year-on-year decline, compared to a near-40 percent aggregate decline year-on-year in the first half of 2015.